Equipment Needed- 20cm square cake frame, Silpat mat
- For the confit oranges. This needs to be made 2 days ahead. Score around the outside of the orange and gently take off each quarter of the peel.
- Place the peel in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil, then drain. Refill with fresh water and repeat twice more.
- Place the orange peel with the sugar and 500g water in a pan and bring to boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 mins. Remove the pan from the heat and leave to cool. Cover and leave to cool overnight at room temperature.
- The following day, bring the pan back up to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 2 hours. Remove from the heat, leave to cool overnight. The following day, remove the oranges from the liquid and dry on a rack for around 3 hours. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- For the sable base, combine the flour, cocoa powder and ground almonds together in a bowl.
- Put the butter in to the mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat until soft. Scrape down the sides, add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides.
- Gradually mix in the egg, then add the dry ingredients. Mix until just combines, do not overwork the mixture.
- Turn the down out and bring together with your hands ensuring everything is combined. Wrap and chill for 30 mins.
- Place a Silpat on a baking try and lightly flour. Roll the dough until its slightly bigger than the cake frame. Place it on top of the dough and press down. Discard the trimmings.
- Prick the dough with a fork all over. Chill in the fridge for at least 30 mins. Bake at 180C for 20 mins.
- For the topping, put the cream, butter, sugar and glucose in a pan and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and add all the remaining ingredients.
- Once the base has had 20 mins, pour the topping on and level out with palette knife. Bake for 10 mins at 200C.
- Remove and leave to cool for 5 mins, then remove the cake frame. Do not leave too long otherwise it sticks. Trim the edges, then cut into 9 equal pieces.